Thursday 20 December 2012

ZINNIAS

Zinnia is a genus of 20 species of annual and perennial plants of the family Asteraceae. They are native to scrub and dry grassland in an area stretching from the Southwestern United States to South America, with a centre of diversity in Mexico. Members of the genus are notable for their solitary long-stemmed flowers that come in a variety of bright colours. The name honours genus German botanist Johann Gottfried Zinn (1727–59).

They are popular garden flowers, usually grown from seed, and preferably in fertile, humus-rich, and well-drained soil, in an area with full sun. They will reseed themselves each year. Over 100 cultivars have been produced since selective breeding started in the 19th century. Zinnia elegans is the most familiar species, originally from Mexico and thus a warm–hot climate plant. Its leaves are lance-shaped and sandpapery in texture, and height ranges from 15 cm to 1 metre.

This post is part of the Floral Friday Fotos meme.





6 comments:

  1. They provide such colour in the garden. I haven't planted any in recent years. Your photos have inspired me to put some in for next Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're wonderful! I love all the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lOve these colorful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a splash of colours:) I'll definately plant Zinna next summer for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zinnias are the first flowers I remember from my childhood. I'm glad they're making a comeback in popularity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty Zinnias! Hope you'll find time to visit my Cat Whiskers.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.